Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Talking to Hyde Park Locals- Hannah Q.

This week's featured Hyde Park local is 25 year old Hannah Q. who works as a Library Assistant at the Newberry Library, while earning her Master of Library & Information Science. Here's what she has to say about the neighborhood:

How long have you lived in Hyde Park? What brought you to the neighborhood and/or what keeps you here?
This is my 3rd year in Hyde Park. My husband and I moved here for his graduate school program.

How would you describe Hyde Park to someone who isn't familiar with it?
I think of Hyde Park as being really relaxed. We don't have tons of retail or bar options, but we have the beautiful U of C campus, easy access to the lake and beaches, and tons of parks. I love the cultural options like Robie House, the Museum of Science & Industry, Hyde Park Art Center, Doc Films and all the amazing book shops.

You have friends visiting for the weekend-- What do you make sure to show them in the neighborhood? The Point, Jimmy's [Woodlawn Tap], dinner at Cedars [Mediterranean Kitchen], brunch at The Medici, worship at Saint Paul & the Redeemer Episcopal Church.

What is your favorite restaurant and/or business in the area? What about it do you like? What do you recommend there?
It used to be Dixie Kitchen. Brunch at
The Med is always amazing. One of my favorite places in neighborhood is Hyde Park Produce--I'm in there almost every day.

How do you feel about the Harper Court development project and community re-development in general? How do you feel it will impact the neighborhood? What type of development would you like to see, if any?
From what I have read and seen of the project so far, I am mostly in favor of it. In particular, I think that Hyde Park needs more hotel and retail options. And I would love to see more jobs created.

What do you think the neighborhood is missing (if anything)? What do you see as the barriers to Hyde Park having this? Grocery stores. I love having fresh produce stores in the neighborhood, but for my other grocery needs, Treasure Island just doesn't cut it. It is generally more expensive, poorly laid out, and lacks many items we look for. We end up driving to Jewel or Dominick's in other parts of the city to stock up every few weeks. Also, these new CTA cuts are going to make traveling even more difficult for Hyde Parkers as we rely on the 55 bus to get to the Metra and L stations.

Overall, how do you feel about the neighborhood?
Overall, I really feel at home in Hyde Park and enjoy living here. That said, I am glad that I work in another neighborhood, as Hyde Park can feel like an island within the city.

Bonus Question: Feel free to talk about any neighborhood-related issues or topics that I haven't touched on, suggest a question to be included in future interviews, and/or plug your own website or a cause you're passionate about.
I have a photo blog zhparris.blogspot.com where I post pictures from around Hyde Park and my life in general. I'd love to have folks stop by and have a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment